The Donor Memorial Quilt is dedicated to commemorating the love and lives of those who gave the gift of life through organ and tissue donation.
The quilt is displayed at hospitals, health fairs, schools, churches and conferences throughout Maryland and the rest of the country to increase public and professional awareness about the importance of donation. To view samples quilts, please click here.
Making a Quilt Square
We encourage you to share the making of you quilt square with family and friends, and to make it a family event. This may be a wonderful time to share stories and memories of your loved one.
- Your quilt patch should be an 8-inch square, allowing for a ½ inch seam on all four sides (design should be within 7 inches
- You may use any color or fabric including a sentimental material such as your loved one’s baby blanket, favorite shirt or tie, etc. We ask that you sew everything securely and avoid using glue as it may dry out over time.
- Crayons, fabric paints, markers, glitter, or scanned pictures can be used to design your square. If you are including a photograph on the patch, please have it laminated and transferred directly onto the fabric by a copy shop.
- You may adorn your patch with poems, quotes and symbols of your loved one’s life. Feel free to include the name of your loved one and dates of his/her birth and death.
- Please do not finish the patch with quilting or backing. We will do that for you.
Submitting a quilt square
When your square is complete, you may want to take a photograph so you can remember this special "patch of love." We will not be able to return the patch to you once it is added to the Donor Memorial Quilt.
- Enclose the patch in a ziplock plastic baggie to ensure its safety.
- Include the full name of your loved one and their date of donation on the back of the square.
- On a separate piece of paper, include your name, address, phone number and e-mail address and a short story about the patch, if possible.
- Remember that by sending in a quilt square, you are giving your permission for the The Living Legacy Foundation to use and display the patch.
Mail your patch to:
The Living Legacy Foundation
Attn: Family Services Department
1730 Twin Springs Road, Suite 200
Baltimore, Maryland, 21227